Middle School Time Change
I (Michael) am so excited about this big announcement for our Middle School Ministry! Our goal in middle school has always been life-change, through Jesus for every Student. Since the inception of HCBC Leander, our Middle School Ministry has met on Sunday mornings. While this time slot has had some clear strengths, we have found that there are a few key weaknesses:
- We want every student to be engaged in a small group as a part of our core programming. Sunday morning does not lend itself to having multiple places for small groups to meet, nor does it allow for ample time for students to engage in their small groups.
- We want every student to be able to invite unreached friends. In order to bring a friend on Sunday, most of the time that friend must spend the night which limits guest attendance.
- We want students to open up to their peers and small group leaders in order to apply God's Word to their every day lives. Morning time and pre-teens don't always go hand and hand for opening up.
After much prayer, considering many options, and having conversations with students, parents, leaders, and staff, I am excited to announce that we will be moving our middle school program to Sunday evenings from 5-6:30pm in the worship center!
- This will allow students to more easily invite their unreached friends (one of our biggest challenges in the morning time)!
- This will allow for middle schoolers to have run of the entire facility and have ample space to break out into small groups.
- This is a better time of day for students to engage in groups with more energy and focus.
- This will allow students an opportunity to both serve and participate with their family in the Worship Service on Sunday mornings.
- This will allow us the opportunity to add time (from 55 minutes to 90 minutes) to the Middle School program each week to have more complete small group interaction.
In short, we believe this is the best way to work toward our vision of reaching as many students with the life-changing reality of Jesus as possible. This new timing will begin on Promotion Sunday come Sunday, August 12th. In order to begin transitioning all students to serving in other areas of the church on Sunday mornings, there will be no Ignite on Sunday, August 5th in the morning or in the evening. And let me tell you, we have so many opportunities for your student to serve with us on Sunday mornings! If you would like more information on how your student can serve on Sunday morning, please contact myself, Emily Covarrubias (Children's Director), Joe Bob Ellison (Community Impact Pastor), Matt Howard (Worship Pastor), or Marcelo Lamas (Latino Pastor) to learn more about how your student can begin serving on Sunday mornings!
I also want to encourage you and your family to begin having conversations about which hour you plan to attend worship and which hour you would like to serve. We believe that, for all ages, both of these parts of church are key components to growing in our relationships with Jesus.
Please know that as we make this transition, my heartbeat is to see all students fall in love with Jesus, and regardless of when or where we meet, that is my aim. All that being said, I can't wait to see each of your students (and their friends) on August 12th!